Friday, April 13, 2007

Micorosoft Zune

I read an article on our Slashdot feed about the new Zune coming out soon. You can read about it here. I guess I'm not really surprised that Microsoft is making changes to their Zune since technology is always changing, but I am surprised that they are doing it so soon. Their product didn't hit the market till fairly recently but against the iPod I doubt it has been doing very well. Apple took the first mover advantage and ran with it with very little competition. It seems a little late in the game for Microsoft to even bother with their own version. I do like how the Zune can share music wirelessly but that would require having a fellow user nearby and with so few around that feature is basically useless. We kind of talked about it in class a couple days ago, how networks are more valuable when more people are involved in it and that holds true for the main feature of the Zune player. Microsoft is going to have to work a lot harder to get a decent market share and I doubt a newly sized model will do the trick without a heavy advertising campaign.

No comments: